Yall, this post has been a long time coming but I feel like I can handle telling you about the many steps it took to create the built in daybed in the playroom for the One Room Challenge last May. See the reveal here.
Yes, last May. That’s how long I’ve waited. It makes the room awesome and we’ve loved the space so hopefully it’s well worth the wait. I guess first I should start of with my inspiration for the space. This gorgeous reading nook from Jess at The Bright Green Door. I love everything about it. It was so clever and cost effective to use IKEA book shelves and truly made a great space out of a spot that served no purpose. I’m a fan.
A few things had to be different about our built ins though. I wanted our bed to have a front. 1. because dust bunnies and 2. hoarding and hiding
crap treasures under beds happens over here. Here’s looking at you Nickerbeans. Another difference in our spaces is that our wall/ nook was much longer. I played around with all types of possibilities and ended up with this super cool drawing. (p.s. the finished product was way more involved than creating the drawing…)
Then we made a box for the bed to sit on. In this picture you can see that I covered the bottoms of all the boxes with felt. That way if these beasts ever got removed, they wouldn’t have been scratching up the floors. Like I said before, the box for the bed was made only with 1×6’s. We also had to brace the bed in the center so we ran 2 more 1×6’s down the center of the bed and braced those for kid jumping and parent sitting.
Because I’m extremely tech saavy…Here’s a time lapse video I took of us creating one of these boxes.
Stop here. I JUST DOWNLOADED A VIDEO …..WITH MUSIC…..ONTO YOUTUBE AND THEN UPLOADED IT HERE ON MY BLOG. Woah…I’m blowing my own mind with my talents. If you have no plans to build a built in day bed, that was enough of a reason to stick around.
Ok so once these big guys were done, we used a table saw to cut the tops and sides of the boxes. We did not add sides to the parts of the boxes that were against the walls. Wasted plywood and added depth we didn’t need.
You can see it here. Each small base got just the front side wrapped and a top (eventually).
And the bed got 3 sides. We choose to make the bed have a small lip so that the edge of the mattress wouldn’t show or move around. The bed’s sides, also doubled as the sides for the boxes. Then, obviously the bed got a plywood top.
The whole time my sweet man slaved away on these pieces, I was just praying that my original measurements were correct and that these things would actually fit in the room…
They did!! I think I took this picture before they were attached. You can see gaps where they didn’t match exactly but it was all fixable with caulk and trim.
We used the Billy bookcases from Ikea. The larger one is here. And the smaller one is here. I slid the bigger shelf onto the base and used the bracket hardware at the bottom and screwed it to the wall a few times near the top. This was another time where I thought, ‘thank you Jesus, they fit’.
You have to make sure you’re drilling into studs or none of that bracing matters.
Another thing. Once the big shelf was in, I had to brace the smaller one to it. It’s not like I could get behind them and brace it to the wall or bed base.
The shelves were up and braced but needed some trim to help them look built in. You can see the gap that Ikea puts of their shelves so that they can sit against a wall with baseboards. and the gap against the wall and ceiling. I had to cover all of that. I measured the widths I needed and got the thin lattice like boards to use as trim.
While I was trimming, my sweet mom was caulking the trim and all the holes of the bookcases. That made them seem more custom. Thanks mom!