It’s week FIVE of the fall One Room Challenge! There was a point where I really didn’t think we’d make it but this last week was a game changer. The kitchen is almost done. If you want to catch up, I shared my plans , week 2 progress (or lack thereof), how I covered our counters in feather finish concrete and last week I shared the steps I took to repaint our oil based cabinets with latex paint.
Repainting the cabinets would have made a big difference on it’s own but, as I shared before, we cut off the beveled, outdated edges for a more modern squared off look and they were transformed. Then this last week we added concealed hinges which was another game changer. Pin the image below so that the whole word can rid their kitchen of dated cabinets in a very budget friendly manner.
To install concealed hinges we bought these 5/16 inch compact 6 way adjustable hinges. DLawless had the best prices I could find and after I bought them I reached out and they were kind enough to provide a coupon code to YOU. Use ‘HH10’ for 10% off whenever you order. I’ve worked with them before and they’re great!
We got a template and the bit needed for install. My best tip for this is to practice. We practiced on a board first and then a spare cabinet door. Work out all the kinks before you start.
In fact, see the blue tape on the template? We realized the teeth were touching the cabinet door when the hinge was opening so we added a little more clearance to the guide. We wouldnt have known that with out a couple trial runs.
We decided how far in from the top and bottom the hinges would be placed. And drilled pilot holes. (The extra holes are from the last hinges.)
Then we used a larger bit for the two outside marks.
Use painters tape as your mark so that you dont drill too deep. He measured off the molly that fits into the hole and made sure to not go any deeper than that.
The bigger bit carves out the spot for the hinge.
Then the mollys can be taped in. They hold the screws that hold the hinges to the door.
Then we screwed the hinges on and easily installed them. For the lower cabinets we used a scrap piece of wood to set the right height. I held the door in place while Joel drilled pilot holes into the cabinet base and attached them with 1.5 inch screws.
We haven’t gotten to the top doors yet but when we do we’ll use our laser level to get matching heights.
I can’t even believe how much better it looks. SO. MUCH. BETTER.
Just ignore that I didn’t paint the insides of the cabinets.
I’m so excited to finish it up and style it for the reveal next week. It’s going to be great!
Here’s the to do list (that I realized had about 74 subcategories):
patch wall and ceiling
raise upper cabinets
feather finish countertops
square off cabinet doors
build refrigerator surround– skip this. I’d hate to find a different fridge and have it not fit.
install fb marketplace dishwasher- going to do this at some point but decided against it since there wont be any other stainless steel appliances just yet.
install fb marketplace microwave
build microwave surround
degloss, prime and paint cabinets
attach interior mount hinges
install cabinet hardware
paint floor tile grout lines
Thanks for reading, friends!