Well hello there! Today I want to walk you through a furniture makeover I did for my big kid. *this post contains affiliate links.
To make moving a little more exciting for the girls we’ve been talking about bedroom makeovers. For Nickerbean 1 that meant a room devoid of pink…. Her dresser is, you guessed it, PINK. Knowing that this was in my future, when The Hairpin Leg Company reached out to me about a collaboration, I knew exactly what I’d be working on. *this post is sponsored by The Hairpin Leg Co. All text and opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting brands that support House Homemade!
I painted this coral pink dresser way back when I was pregnant with the little one. It was my husband’s growing up. I had to make it girlie. I was giving big sister a big kid room and painted it with my chalk paint recipe. It has held up really well for the last 5ish years but I was happy to give it a makeover.
The bottom sits flush to the ground and when I was scheming this redo I knew I wanted to give it some kind of feet to raise it up a little. Sorry yall, with it under the window I never took a picture of it full on.
Seriously this collaboration was perfect timing. I picked the 4″ legs in a clear coat. They are so cute and understated. I could have picked raw steel and you can spray paint them any color you want.
They sell taller desk legs in powder coated colors that are dreamy!
So fun, right?! Back to the makeover. I hauled this beast outside to make bases for the new legs to attach to.
The underside of the dresser wasn’t solid. It’s the trim and a thin sheet of MDF? Particle board? Something like that.
I measured the space between the bottom of the dresser and the bottom of the trim. Then I cut a few 2×4’s into blocks to use as bases for the legs.
Side note: I used these grips to hold the wood still so I could drill. They’re great.
I mounted the wood blocks with screws by the 3.5″ side. This way the base of the hairpin legs wouldn’t show. I drilled into the side of the dresser for most of the blocks. Then through the back of the front trim piece for the 2 front blocks.
After the braces were installed I started sanding down the old finish.
We had some left over paint stripper in the garage so I grabbed that and it got the job done quickly.
My big kid said she wanted it painted white so that it would pop against her future room’s wall color. A kid after my own heart, right?
I painted the dresser the same color I used in the laundry room makeover Behr ‘Polar Bear’.
I have to say though. I was loving the unfinished, sanded wood look on the drawers.
Over on instagram stories I even asked if I should leave them:
Suuuuper helpful results, right? In the end I decided to paint them…That kiddo asked for it and, let’s be real, I plan to veto a lot of her new room ideas so I can give her this one.
|wall color sherwin williams ‘pink shadow’|
I did distress it as to hide a little wear and tear that is in this things future.
A couple days later the hairpin legs came in (all packaged nicely and mounting hardware included) and we installed them right away. They also come with little feet to put at the bottom of each leg so that you don’t scrape your flooring.
Really cool right?
I found these weathered nickel pulls on amazon and scooped them right up. The weathered finish works with the finish of the legs and they look simple and modern with the piece.
I love how the dresser turned out!! The legs are just what it needed.
You know I love to mix styles so I’m a fan of the traditional dresser with the mod legs.
I styled the dresser with stuff we had elsewhere in the house. It’s fun to pull things together even if it’s just for a little while.
Again, thank you so much to The Hairpin Leg Company for sponsoring this project. My sweet baby girl loves her dresser and is excited for her new room.
Pin the image below to save or share:
Come back next week to learn about a quick laundry room DIY.
Thanks for reading, friends!