A couple weeks ago I showed you all the pretty pictures of how our mudroom went from drab to this:
Fab. It went to fab.
Anyway, I also told you I’d give you all the details on how this space came together. See the reveal and shopping sources here. It was 5 pieces from IKEA and some plywood we had on hand for extra fanciness. **The materials for the mudroom were provided by IKEA Frisco. I’m so thankful to have been able to work with them. Thank you for supporting brands that support House Homemade.
Let me break things down for you. I talked about how when I did the playroom I measured the space and shopped on Ikea’s website to see what would fit. Well, I did the same here. I knew the general layout of what I wanted but needed to find the pieces that would best go with that vision and the dimensions of our space.
For this project I used:
To make the besta unit seating height I got it in this size: 70 7/8×15 3/4×15 ”
This is where I messed up a bit. This is the one I needed:
but this is the one I added into my plans and picked up from the store:
See how much taller it is? Anyway….pay attention. That’s all I’m saying.
After IKEA graciously let me switch out the taller unit for the shorter one, I set to work. I put the Besta unit in first. Let me tell you, it was a close call. I measured before I picked it but with an old house and uneven walls, I basically had to disassemble it and rebuild it in the room. Thank you, my sweet friend Jen, for helping me shove it into place.
Mounting them made them feel very sturdy. The shelf extension works in the same way. There are pegs that adjoin it to the mother shelf* and then mounting brackets for the wall. I just painted them the dark green so that they would blend in. *that’s totally a term.
You can see where there is a gap and where the unit has a notch for feeding cords through.
The 1×4 covered most all of it. The little gap that was left was easily filled with caulk.
After that, I installed the shiplap panels that Joel cut out of scrap plywood. The first board was able to sit on the 1×4.
I did one at a time and used a couple of quarters for the spacing.
I totally could have used a nail gun for this project but I’m not very comfortable with them…Ever since I almost shot a friend in the head with a finishing nail in my college shop class. It hit her, just luckily not straight on…. Love you Heather.
You certainly wouldn’t have to do ship lap with this project, it was just an added detail that I wanted. Adding the shiplap was another way to secure the bookcases even more.
The top piece of ship lap got a shelf added to it before it went onto the wall. You can find that easy tutorial here. Picture ledges are a great, modern way to move art around all the time with out added holes in the wall.
You can also see in the picture above that I used some trim pieces to finish out the edging. I actually took that down and just relied on caulk to cover up the uneven edges. It’s a magical tool, people.
I did, however, use the trim on the outside edges of the billy bookcases.
After it was all installed I went over all of the wood with Exta White from sherwin williams. It matches the IKEA white, well.
When the paint was dry I did some math and hung the hooks making one in the center and then evenly spacing them toward the outside.
The hooks are also IKEA, here. I love their shape.
So that’s what I did. The install was done in a day, by myself. Besides the shoving of the Besta into position.
I am so proud of what I accomplished!
For real, I mean this: You can do it! Find a place in your house that doesn’t work for you or your family and change it! Make a plan. Gather some inspiration and then get it done.
Scroll below to shop the room:
Let me know if you have any questions. I’d love to help you along.
Pin the image below to save or share.
Thanks for reading, friends!