It’s reveal day for the One Room Challenge!! I’m so excited to show you our budget-friendly kitchen makeover!
It was so much fun taking you along for the entire journey on my Instagram Stories . If you weren’t following along there I’ll try to make sure you get all the scoop here.
I wanted this makeover to be budget friendly so it’s full of DIY projects and second hand finds. I concrete coated the counter tops with leftovers from our bathroom makeover. Already had the supplies.
I refreshed the grout lines on the floor. Already had the product.
We built shelves out of scrap wood from the reading room and refinished the cabinets by cutting off the edges of the doors and installing concealed hardware. This hardware was about the only new thing we purchased.
The ceiling lighting and the cabinet hardware is from Habitat for Humanity Restore. The light over the sink is West Elm but I found it on Facebook Marketplace.
The beautiful vintage runner and the new faucet are from EBAY.
I can better calculate the money part and do a post soon but the paint, hardware and decor was around $500. $125 of that was the vintage rug and another $150 was the faucet. We had to hire out Sheetrock and some electrical work from the soffit removal which was another $500 but for around $1,000 I cant even believe how beautiful the end result is.
The walls and upper cabinets are Sherwin Williams ‘Origami White’ and the lower cabinets are Behr ‘Garden Wall’.
I did a quick update to the adjoining dining room. It got a fresh coat of paint, a new rug (I’ll share the product links below) and the chairs got a coat of forest green spray paint. I love the contrast they add.
We removed the soffit on the sink side. Moved one upper cabinet to the ceiling and added the open shelving below and on the other side to balance it all out. I love how it visually opens space between the kitchen and dining room.
With a galley kitchen I didn’t really care about achieving symmetry, just open and airy with lots of storage. This solution gives us both.
I got rid of the tiny cabinet doors above the microwave and turned it into a vent hood looking thing which also kind of helped camouflage the soffit and draw the eye past it making this side feel taller. None of that was intentional but I do love it!
Also I love the spice ledge I made with plywood before I covered it all in concrete. The main goal was to have as much off the counter as possible.
Even the paper towel roll is off the counter and I’m pretty happy about it. (Thanks for the idea, Nicole.)
I could not be happier with how it all turned out.
Just for fun, we need to check out the befores of this space.
Thank you for being here and for following along and cheering me on. I’m so thankful for you!
Shop the room using the affiliate links below.
That’s another One Room Challenge in the books! Come back next week for a little fall home tour and then again for a Christmas printable round up.
Thanks for reading, friends!