Well, hey yall! Really quickly, when I started the blog almost 3 years ago, I told myself I’d work hard, start small and then ramp up once both girls were in school. You read about my jumping for joy when that day got here. Since then I’ve been asking God to open doors or just guide me where He wanted me. That being said, next week I’m GOING SOMEWHERE. Literally. I’ll fill you in with details here at some point but to make sure and see it all, come follow me on Instagram. I’ll be sure to instastory my face off. Back to business. We’ve had an update in the living room. *this post contains affiliate links.
Let me tell you about that awesome cabinet in the corner.
It’s actually 2 cabinets. I found them on Facebook marketplace for $30 each. Here is the original listing photo.
They were at an estate sale only 15 minutes away from our
house so I quickly went and scooped them up knowing that they’d be great
for this space. In the picture below they’re already stripped to bare
I decided I wanted this look for them.
After they ended up not looking uniform with themselves OR each other, paint was the answer. To mount them, the mister wanted to create a french cleat. I’m not going to define it. Here’s a visual and explanation.
Basically two pieces of wood cut at a 45, hold the cabinet up. He borrowed a neighbors table saw and made the brackets.
In this picture the cabinet is upside down. We actually mounted 2 brackets to the first one so that we would have room for tv cords but we didn’t need that. I’ll show you.
Also, pardon the paint job. I only stripped/ painted the parts that would show.
At the top of this picture, you’ll see another piece of wood. That one acts as a spacer at the bottom of the cabinet so that it would sit flush on the wall.
We mounted the bottom half of the french cleat making sure it was secured into studs. We realized our gap for the cords wouldn’t work because this cleat would be strongest if it remained uncut and not in a bunch of segments.
From there, we mounted the inside cabinet.
It’s just hanging there. Gravity at it’s most helpful.
We slid the other on and now you can see a little gap at the wall. I haven’t even messed with it yet but I’ll just add a piece of lattice and paint it to match. Easy. (pardon this super warm picture. Yesterday was cold and there was a fire in the fireplace.)
You can see I reattached the corner hardware to only the 4 outside corners. Hoping to make it look like one piece.
I need to also add lattice between the two cabinets. There’s a gap that
might be caused by a bowing wall or something. No big deal.
I love them! I’m glad I painted them white. They look like they’ve always been there. I love that I can vacuum or sweep under them. Mounting them gave them a little more modern look which I love too.
They fit the space so much better than what was there originally.
I made a temporary wall unit that at least got the tv closer to the center of the room and out of the far, far corner.
But boy, do I love it now.
After my main man hung them, he decided they weren’t as heavy as he originally thought. There are metal brackets that do the same thing and don’t need to be cut with a table saw. This one holds 200 lbs.
You might notice some other changes too. Scroll below to shop the room.
Come back Thursday when I’ll have a One Room Challenge update for you.
Thanks for reading, friends!